Sunday, September 27, 2009

WA3 Response

Perhaps the strangest thing about this assignment was realizing and coming to terms with my current position as a student and a teacher all at once. Not only did I have to think back and draw upon my experiences as a student, even in high school, but I also had to think of what I've observed thus far as a brand-spanking new teacher. I wasn't aware that I'd developed these notions about how students function in class or this philosophy of teaching until I actually had to write them down.

I'm slightly afraid that I did a bit too much emotional burping about my rather intense hatred of standardized testing, but I hope that at least my students' reactions will help to bring the point across. Also, I had to really think, as usual, about the context in which I'm using the word "literacy." It was difficult to try and reconcile traditional ways of thinking of literacy (which I mentioned in terms of a student's ability to read and write) with a much broader definition (which I used to describe my own separate knowledge about test-taking). This could potentially confuse a reader.

And though I'm still, to this day, struggling with the most appropriate voice to use in an academic paper, I'm more and more tempted these days to throw a bit of humor into a paper. I'm becoming less convinced that it is somehow inappropriate, provided that it serves to emphasize a point and to educate a reader. I strongly believe that most of what a person will remember will be that which makes them laugh; it certainly makes a strong impression on them. Nonetheless, I still felt obligated to tone it down and to adopt a more serious tone, if nothing else, from force of habit. And I find this sense of obligation interesting, since it somewhat echoes the concerns that many first year comp students have expressed: that an academic paper is meant to be dull, uninteresting, and serious. I found the assignment to be very enlightening, both as a student, and as a teacher.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, that's awesome.

    I think I struggle to keep humor out of my papers, too. Struggle and fail most times, and oddly enough, on the rare occassions that I do maintain a serious tone, it's because I'm scared the professor will give me a low grade. So I'm sorta in the same boat as you, only I maybe take more chances. Or maybe I am crap at controling my voice- what with my lack of trying.

    That's the one thing I'll miss about lit writing, you can't throw in the random wisecrack when you're writing about emperical research of linguistic attributes.

    Unless you go sociolinguistics... yeah. Those guys are downright funny, most days. Must be the influence of the Scots. Notorious hilarity (unless you're a sheep) in that Scotland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that's awesome.

    I think I struggle to keep humor out of my papers, too. Struggle and fail most times, and oddly enough, on the rare occasions that I do maintain a serious tone, it's because I'm scared the professor will give me a low grade. So I'm sorta in the same boat as you, only I maybe take more chances. Or maybe I am crap at controlling my voice- what with my lack of trying.

    That's the one thing I'll miss about lit writing, you can't throw in the random wisecrack when you're writing about empirical research of linguistic attributes.

    Unless you go sociolinguistics... yeah. Those guys are downright funny, most days. Must be the influence of the Scots. Notorious hilarity (unless you're a sheep) in that Scotland.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delete my first (typos are too many) and this comment, can ya? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete